Friday, October 2, 2015

My favorite Christian Non-Fiction Authors

 Sometimes (most of the time, if I'm being honest) I struggle to find Christian fiction work that I enjoy. I have much better luck with the nonfiction side of things. Today I thought I would highlight some nonfiction writers I enjoy.

Footnote: CS Lewis should be on the top of this list, but since he does fiction and nonfiction he was disqualified for this list. Sorry Jack.

Speaking of CS Lewis, let's start with Ryan Pemberton. He wrote one of my favorite books that I've read this year. It was honest and heartfelt and I enjoyed it greatly. And I will never get over how much I love this cover.

23505897


 Our next writer also has an England connection, Sheridan Voysey. I read a book by Sheridan called Resurrection Year which was sincere and heartbreaking and all kinds of things. When I heard that he had a new book coming out this year I jumped to be on the launch team. Resilient comes out October 21st, as does my review of it. Spoiler, I liked it. Though I'm still kind of trying to figure out the cover. Is it like an inkblot test? Sometimes I think it's Jesus with a crown of thorns, sometimes I think it's a blue bleeding heart...

 26128593


I've talked about Jen Hatmaker at length on this blog before. She recently made a joke about the struggle of people wearing leggings as pants, and how "this is probably something that CS Lewis talked about too" and I laughed pretty hard. She also has a new book out recently, and while it's not my most most favorite of her books it was a great read and very worthwhile. I feel like after I read Jen's books I get "shored up" spiritually.


  23647129


Last but in no ways least, Brennan Manning. Brennan had an interesting life, and by interesting I mean hard, devastating, redemptive and about 15 other words. (Side note, when I was reading a book by him earlier this year I was like "Hmm I wonder if he does book tours or anything". I kind of figured he didn't because it didn't seem like his style. And then I saw that he had died in 2013 and was INCREDIBLY sad). The only good news is that he has many books out there and I can't wait to read my way through them all. Here is my review of Ruthless Trust and a mini biography. (The tumbling monk story chokes me up EVERY TIME.) Many people, including myself, started with Brennan's work The Ragamuffin's Gospel.

173526

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read Resurrection Year - I'll have to add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good reminder of "even though you pray and pray and pray sometimes you don't get what you want". Because I feel like a lot of Christian books on prayer don't talk about that outcome enough.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of "Called." It's good to know you found it so enjoyable. brennan Manning also sounds like a wonderful author (and human being.) Thank you for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brennan is/was probably the real Most Interesting Man in the World, ha!

      Delete
  3. As someone who's not very religious, I don't always love Christian authors, but C. S. Lewis is one of my favorite. So far, I've only read his fiction though. These all sound like books I could enjoy too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.S. is a treasure! None of them are heavy religious tomes, that's probably why I liked them :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!