Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Rapid Fire Book Review #3

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. This book was incredible. All of the character's stories wove together almost seamlessly and what seemed like no effort at all. Believable characters, definitely scary parts, and basically one of my worst nightmares beautifully captured in a novel. This would deserve a review all on it's own but I'm unsure how to do it without giving too much away. I'll never look at an airport the same again!If you want more of discussion on this book, head here to see what Shannon has to say about it. I'll be piping in too!
20170404


Eastern Europe !: Everything You Need to Know About the History (and More) of a Region that Shaped Our World and Still Does by Tomek E. Jankowski. This title of this book is indicative of the book itself, very long! It was really interesting,but it takes on a daunting task; taking on the history of a whole area, and it starts way way way back. There were lots of interesting facts but sometimes I had to resort to skimming. Super cute cover too!

17568908



Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore. This billed itself as "an alternative history classic!" I thought it was okay, but when I sat down to actually write a review about it I came up short. When I thought about describing it to someone it sounded really boring. So I don't know what to think about this one.

91099




The Cartographer of No Man's Land by PS Duffy. I wanted to like this book more than I did. I partially think it's my fault because I might have read too many war books in a row. I just never felt very invested in the characters. Though it was interesting to read a book from a Canadian perspective.

18379037




Your Life Still Counts: How God Uses Your Past to Make a Beautiful Future by Tracie Miles
Do you feel like that you have screwed up too much in your past that God has no interest in loving and forgiving you? It's not true. He loves you and thinks you're worthy of all the good things that He has to offer. The book is the author's story, but also other women who have overcome great difficulties. At the end of each page there are little activities and Bible verses. What makes it especially good is that these women struggle. I mean, it's not good that they struggle, but when confronted with dealing with the situations they have they aren't just like "Well let's just up and make a super vulnerable huge life change" like it's nothing. It's very human relatable of them!Very encouraging read!

20665071


2 comments:

  1. I felt very, very much the same about The Cartographer of No Man's Land. I was so excited to read it, but found that the battle scenes dragged on and I never felt connected to any of the characters left behind. I wish it had worked better for you, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost felt bad that I didn't really care about any of the people, I'm glad I wasn't the only one! Onto bigger and better books!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!