Thursday, November 3, 2016

Friday Four - Four Favorite Sci-Fi Shows

(Will be traveling for a chunk of Friday, so you get this a day early!) And I'm so happy to be able to tie this one in to SciFi November!

I can appreciate that science fiction means something different to everybody and so what I consider science fiction might not be what you consider science fiction. so based on my understanding of what science fiction is, here are my favorite.

Fringe


Oh man, I loved me some Fringe. Unexplained occurrences + Homeland Security + Parallel Universe = Fringe. The character John Noble played was hilarious and brilliant and infuriating and annoying and sympathetic. Also for those Dawson's Creek (or Skulls) fans out there...Joshua Jackson.


via GIPHY



Lost


There were times that Lost INFURIATED me, but I always came back to it. It's one of the very few shows that I watched from day one all the way to the bitter bitter end. I even did a book series about it here on the blog! Time travel, unexplained polar bears, mysterious wheels, utopian fantasies, etc etc Lost is about literally all the things. There's not enough time.




via GIPHY

Penny Dreadful


The fact that this show was only on for 3 seasons was basically a crime against humanity. The cast of this show were outstanding Eva Green, Rory Kinnear, Timothy Dalton, and (perhaps most surprisingly of all) Josh Hartnett. There is some intense violence and some weird sex stuff in this show. Also, I was terrified watching it sometimes. (There was demony stuff. And I don't watch the demony stuff. But for this I watched between my fingers.) But also surprisingly funny occasionally. I MUST love any show that brings characters from classic literature to life. I'm contractually obligated by my Maker. And even if I wasn't I'd still love the life out of this show. 

(Though, one thing. I know Timothy Dalton has been in a LOT of stuff *cough* James Bond but the first role that popped into my head whenever I hear him talk is when he voiced the hedgehog in Toy Story 3. So his character will be like, killing people left and right in PD and in my head all I can see is a hedgehog in liederhosen asking "Are you classically trained?" And then I laugh and laugh and laugh)



via GIPHY


Anywhere with you hedgehog.

Warehouse 13

This show got a little dumb towards the end but the creativity and interesting scenarios kept me hooked.(Also, one of the characters was a recovering alcoholic and this was never joked about or made light of and was treated with respect and the realities of a person in such a situation. So, go you!)  The series revolves around secret government agents who have to collect dangerous objects that harm people and safely store them in Warehouse 13. Such items could be - W. C. Fields' juggling balls that induce drunkenness and blackouts or Ivan Pavlov's Bell, which will call any dog to you but causes excessive drooling for 24 hours. So it's about the agents misadventures and the interesting objects and it was just kind of good clean, unproblematic fun.

Though no good GIFS to be had. Bummer.


Who else has sci-fi tv show favorites?

10 comments:

  1. *whispers* I've still not watched any of these...

    I DID start Fringe, got distracted by something else, and never picked it up again - although I do keep meaning to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fringe is a good time. And eventually there's a guy named Lincoln who is cuuuuuuuuuuuute!

      Delete
  2. I miss Fringe so much! I should really rewatch that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! After writing this I'm like, I wonder if this is on Netflix or Hulu....

      Delete
  3. I didn't get far enough in Fringe to get to the parallel universe stuff, but Netflix has it and I need to get back to it.

    I liked Continuum a lot and 12 Monkeys (the SyFy show, not related to the movie)- both are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets a little weird, but it's still good!

      I've heard of 12 monkeys but I will have to look into continuum!

      Delete
  4. I have not watched Fringe. Lost is one of my favorite TV shows ever, even though the last couple of seasons were bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't finished the last season of Fringe (I don't know why!!) but I really love what I've seen. The characters are all so strong in their own ways and it's just full on bonkers at times :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a great assortment of characters, that's absolutely true.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!