Friday, March 6, 2015

Are There Any Books Written About This? Why not?!

Do you have that thought? Or another favorite of mine "Someone should write a book about that, I feel like that would be awesome". I started keeping track of things that should be books. If there happens to be books about this stuff, please please pass it on to me, because I want to read it!

Here's the couple that I remembered long enough to write down:

Apparently a bunch of anarchists were blowing stuff up not long before WWI,which was one of the things (besides the  assassination) that put the wheels in motion for our first World War. Wouldn't that make for an interesting book?

With the first World War there came injuries the likes of which no one had ever seen. This included a lot of face injuries (trench warfare = hell). I'm curious about facial reconstruction, prosthesis development. Like, that had to be risky and uncomfortable and awful. I can't believe people with face injuries didn't die from from infection and loss of blood. I don't mean to be insensitive about people's sufferings, it's just that this had to be some of the first surgeries and processes of the time.

It seems like there were soldiers from neutral countries fighting in armies in WWII. I think there were some Finns that fought for the Germans? Also there were apparently Siberians that fought for Stalin that rode reindeer, who doesn't want to read that book?

(I was watching a lot of the Military channel there for a couple of weeks, so pardon the weird theme...)

Do you remember that horrible day when that plane crashed over Lockerbie, Scotland? (And when I say crashed I mean sabotaged by terrorists and brought down.) Is there a book about the city, like how there was this little town and then this terrible thing happened and media converged from around the world and the trial and everything? That hand to be surreal for the residents.

But I guess when it comes right down to it:


Anyone else have a list like this?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd totally be all over the book about facial reconstruction! With some of crazy microhistories that I keep seeing, you would think someone would write about some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Who can we email to get the ball rolling on that? Erik Larson? (haha)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean!! I'd totally read these too! And yes to Erik Larson being nominated! :)

    Random (and maybe I've already mentioned this), but have you heard of the Hardcore History Podcast? I started listening after a friend suggested it and I had long driving trips for work. Anyway, he (Dan Carlin) has a 5 part series on WWI (although it's not done yet....I'm waiting NOT SO PATIENTLY for the next one) and it's so good! They're really long (like 3-4 hours each), but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that! I'm trying to learn more about WWI, I'll have to get in on that!

      Delete
    2. I know I'm super late to the party here (hey look, I actually went on blogger!) but I COMPLETELY second the Hardcore History podcast! Kacey turned me on to it a while ago and I absolutely love it. He also has a great 1 parter on Luther/the Protestant Reformation in Europe that you might like. He's off on a few little points regarding Luther (stuff that people wouldn't necessarily know not having grown up Lutheran) but otherwise it's a fascinating take on that part of history and what else was going on in the world. He also has a current events political podcast called Common Sense. While I don't agree with everything he says, he does a pretty good job of staying neutral and just giving facts as opposed to partisan opinions on recent events. It would probably be right up your alley.

      Delete
    3. Sarah you are never late nor are you early, you arrive precisely when you're mean to :)

      I really need to get better about listening to different things (besides my same spotify play list over and over) and this sounds like a really worthwhile way to do it!

      Delete
  3. I believe there are a few books about the Lockerbie disaster and the trial, perhaps they aren't as widely available in the US. But I'm almost certain I recall hearing about them when I was growing up. I was just a little kid when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point I hadn't thought of, maybe I'll get on British amazon and do some poking around. Thanks!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!