Friday, December 27, 2019

Diary of a Part Time Vegetarian - A not book related post

Hi everyone! I have a nonbookish post for you today.

I was looking at the calendar this past week (putting the Christmas holiday in the middle of the week was confusing me to NO END) and I realized that I hit a milestone - 6 months of being a part time vegetarian.

If you're like, Wesley that sounds like a pretty non-committal, weird made up term I would say, dear reader you are correct.

A little before July started I was having some moments of introspection and decided I wanted to make a commitment to eating less meat.I couldn't even tell you if there was a specific thing that triggered it. It seems like it is better for the environment. It seems like it might be better for me. I already don't eat seafood. While there are some meat items that I do enjoy (McDonald's Chicken Nuggets, a burger with lots of cheese and avocado on a pretzel roll when I am sad and bloated - hello old friends) most of my favorite foods don't actually involve meat. So I made a commitment to myself. 1 meal a day is meatless. Since I don't generally eat breakfast this means either lunch or dinner. And since the husband eats like a lumberjack it would be hard to do dinners regularly so lunch it is.

I've done pretty well, I have to say. There are still times that I screw up - weekends are hard. Or surprise plans can throw a wrench into things occasionally. But I've been able to keep pretty close.

As much as I'd love to tell you that I have single handedly saved the world from destruction, I've lost a million pounds, my skin is glowing and I am the most zen human being of all time because I eat a lot of broccoli and brussel sprouts and chickpeas now - I can't do that.

But I do feel better. I like that I made a commitment and I have done really well with it. Not perfect (#human) but it just feels nice to do something for me, that makes me happy and not really give much a damn what other people say. . I have tried so many new foods. I have spent so much time in the kitchen. I am still not a great cook, but I have gained so much confidence in my cooking. Make some honey glazed roasted carrots? Sure, why the hell not? Make some curry in the crockpot that looks like puke but tastes great? Let's do it before Josh get's home so he doesn't bitch about the smell but for sure!

I've also had a lot of people in my life be super supportive of it, and that's really nice. And a couple who begrudgingly go along with it and are only minimally self righteous and shitty about it - which is expected.

It feels like personal growth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....send me all of your vegetarian recipes that I can make on a big batch on sunday and eat for at least 3 days for lunches. Help a sister out.




I still won't eat Kale. It's stiff ridges are weird.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!