Friday, July 31, 2020

Still More of What I Have Been Reading....

My Great Abyss: Meditation of a Modern Believer by Christian Wiman. So I picked up this book because an author who I like (he wrote a really interesting book about living in CS Lewis' house on Oxford Campus) mentioned it on his instagram. I was so in over my head with this book. I didn't realize that the author was a poet or else I wouldn't have even tried to be honest. For as much as I love reading, beyond 2 or 3 that I really enjoy, I just haven't been able to find my groove with poetry ever. This book was very poetry heavy and kind of windy and very introspective so I felt lost alot. May have gotten a couple decent book recommendations out of it though. So I guess we will see? Or maybe I'll get bamboozled again. 

The Great Divorce by CS Lewis. If I had to rank my favorite CS Lewis books this one is always very near the top. I would say that this one is my favorite CS Lewis book that DOESN'T make me cry. (Looking at your Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters!)I think that the descriptions in this book are just so amazingly vivid and some of the behaviors of the humans of this book are very familiar (like in a bad way). I figured I was do for a re-read that I knew I loved, since I have been a little hit or miss with the books lately! 

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno Garcia. This book was pretty buzzy and I was excited enough for it to plop myself on a long wait list at the library for it. I spoiled, rich, cultured young woman in 1950s Mexico city goes to the rescue of her cousin who has married into a English family that lives in rural, wooded Mexico in genteel poverty.But obviously, nothing is quite as it appears. I honestly was a little disappointed in this book. I thought it squandered an interesting concept and setting for something kind of meh.

William Gibson's Archangel. *Apparently William Gibson is a pretty fiction writer which explains the title I guess?* So, our version of the world is in ruins after a nuclear war so technology was developed for a person to time travel back to where things go real wrong to try to save us from that eventuality but turns out that guy is evil and it doesn't go great. Lots of badass female characters in this one. Can't take that for granted with some graphic novels.


32686477

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!